With the new iPhone 3.0 Voice Memos feature, new voice memos are automatically added to your iTunes library (if that option is selected in your iPhone configuration). They appear automatically in your Voice Memos playlist, which is nice. But, what if you want to delete them? If you delete them from the playlist, they remain in your library and continue to get synched to your various devices. If you delete them from the Voice Memos folder directly using Explorer, you get the fun "iTunes can not find synch ..." message.
To find and delete the Voice Memos from your library, do the following in iTunes...
- Make sure View > Show Column Browser is UNCHECKED.
- If you don't use the Column Browser you can skip the above step, but most people (including me) use this feature.
- Sort your music (now in one huge list) by Title.
- Scroll all the way to the bottom of the list and you'll see a bunch of files with titles like "9/23/2009 8:23:20:00".
- Select these and choose delete.
- Note, if you have already deleted these using Explorer, they will show with an "!" icon.
The reason this works is because the column browser will only show files in your library that have a value for the selected column (genre, artist, etc.). Since Voice Memos have no artist, they don't show in the column browser.